While the holiday season is a time for increased giving and charity, for burglars it is a time of an increase in opportunity to steal. Whether you are staying home for the holidays or vacationing, here are a few tips to follow in order to keep your family and your home safe.
- Make sure your gifts and valuable items are not visible from outside. If burglars can see what you have in your home, they will be tempted to break in.
- Have your holiday lights set on an automatic timer. Some thieves take the time to learn your habits if they plan on invading your home. Automatic timers will prevent that, in case you turn in early or are out for the night.
- Do not run extension cords for holiday lights through a window. If your window cannot close and lock properly, it becomes an easy entry point for burglars.
- Have a friend or family member pick up your mail and newspapers. When you go away for the holidays, piled up mail and newspaper is an easy indication that no one has been home. This gives invaders a go-ahead.
- Be aware of solicitors. Criminals often use the “soliciting donations bid” to get money or entrance into your home. Don’t feel pressured to give if you don’t trust the solicitor and don’t be afraid to ask for ID. Never give cash. Call 911 if you believe that something was not right.
- Don’t advertise travel plans. Posting pictures of vacations that you are on lets the world know that your home is unattended.
- Carefully dispose of gift boxes. Placing empty boxes outside for garbage pickup shows possible invaders what brand new items you have just received. It lets them know what is available for them if they plan to break in. Break the boxes down, turn them inside out, and don’t place them on the curb until collection day.
- Secure your home. Keep all windows and doors locked at all times. Do not store a spare key outside. And finally, install a home security system for maximum protection. A strong security system from Video Surveillance Corp. is a great way to protect your home from potential threats. Call us today at (718) 258-1310 and we’ll have our professionals install a system that suits your home and your needs.