1. In the fall it gets dark earlier, so you need to become more aware of your surroundings. When you’re outside, scan the area and look around carefully when walking to your car or home. It’s easy to get distracted by your phone or when you are looking for your keys. Distractions could be dangerous. Make sure you know what’s going on around you at all times.
2. Make sure your home or office is well-lit, both on the inside and outside. Outdoor lighting is important for protection as you enter or leave your office or home. Lighting controlled by motion sensors, home automation system or remotely through your cell phone, can be extremely beneficial.
3. Needless to say, confirm that all doors and windows are closed and locked before you leave. Also close your garage doors and lock the interior door leading into the house. An unlocked window or door is a perfect invitation for trouble.
4. Maintain trees and shrubs. If they are overgrown it gives burglars an ideal places to hide. It could also block your visibility, making it hard for you to spot anyone that may be outside.
5. Always keep valuable items out of sight. Make sure your expensive items are not visible from the outside of your home, office, or car. When thieves spot valuables from the outside, your move to the top of their prime target list.
6. Be aware of what you post on social media. Be sure to keep vacation dates and places off of social media. You don’t want to broadcast to the world that your home will be empty and may be easy pickings..
7. Always make your house look like someone is home. Something as simple as leaving a car in the driveway or leaving several lights on in the house at night will make burglars think that there is someone home, causing them to skip your house and move on to the next.
8. Check that your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors work properly. Change the batteries at least twice a year and test them regularly to make sure they work and can be heard.
9. Never give your key to a contractor, cleaning person or anyone unless you have complete confidence in them. Keys can be easily copied and used for purposes other than what you had intended.
10. And our favorite tip; Make sure your security system is updated and working properly before you leave your home. Video Surveillance Corp. has the latest technology for safeguarding homes and residences. Our systems are installed and overseen by our team of security experts, and include state-of-the-art alarm, video, personal emergency response systems, home automation and energy management capabilities. Video Surveillance Corporation, Security you can see 718-258-1310